Saturday, March 9, 2013

Good Green Morning to Ya!


On my quest for a healthier diet, I have toyed around with the idea of juicing.  I eat mostly healthy (I'm not perfect), I'm active, and I live well.  I found out some news recently (I'll share another day) that made me re-think my (flexitarian) diet. 




What is a flexitarian you ask? 

Well, a "Flexitarian" is a term used to describe those that consume a mostly vegetarian diet, but occasionally eat meat. I've been a vegetarian off and on for years. If I was just a single chick living life, I'd be a full blown vegetarian. But, I have a family some of who do enjoy meat. Some who enjoy the same Flexitarian lifestyle that I do. 


What I found, which seems ridiculous, is that some people are really put off by vegetarians.  I'm a weirdo that thinks about what I put into my body. Cuckoo

Sometimes when I'm eating chicken enchiladas, I think this came from a chicken. Chicken farms stink, chickens stink, they are filthy, remember what you saw in Forks Over Knives? Chickens walk on dead chickens. Gross. Vomit. It goes through my head, and I freak out like Vomit. Freak Out! I have never been able to eat chicken off a bone for this reason. I can't handle it. When eating a steak, I see blood and I think OMG! that's cow blood! Like from a cow, that was living and then killed, and skinned and just YUCK. It's so weird. I wish I didn't think like that, but I do. Meat stinks! It has a weird odor. Most people can't smell it?! I have a super strong NOSE, and I smell it. Trust me, it wreaks!



So I quit eating meat. Then my parents or friends freak out because a vegetarian is coming to dinner! Gasp, the thought! So, I eat meat FOR them. It's sick when you think about it. You shouldn't have to change or conform for anyone, especially when you have real VALID reasons for making 'said' choices. Not to mention-I'm more than happy to just eat the sides or bring my own main course. My health has improved drastically since cutting meat.



So, I eat meat. When I have to. On occasion I will eat it on my own accord, and I will. I don't feel guilty or bad, I think it's okay every once in awhile. I don't feel physically bad when consuming meat. I feel okay. I just have to not think whilst eating. This is tough. Trust Me.  If you set a steak or a bowl of quinoa in front of me, I'm going quinoa.

Anyway, so I decided the juicing thing may be a little rough and I wasn't sure I wanted to make that commitment. I don't really have any weight that I want to lose, maybe a few pounds. So, I haven't convinced myself it's worth it-YET.  I have decided that adding Green Smoothies into my diet are doable, and yummy. I shared a recipe the other day that is delish. I have another to share, and I think you will LOVE it.  

Don't freak-this will taste mildly fruity, you might get a hint of banana-no yuckiness ;)



Super Kale Smoothie

(2 servings)

    1 c. Kale (stems removed, coarsely chopped, firmly packed)

    1/2 c. Parsley (loosely packed)

    1 Granny Smith Apple

    1 Banana

    2 scoops of Greens

2 1/4 c. water


P.S.  I recommend if you are starting on a Green Smoothie Kick, to prep and freeze in advance. Buy your ingredients and bag them up in Quart size baggies-then freeze. Grab and Go as needed. It's super convenient. Honestly, I wouldn't have time to do this every day if I didn't freeze and Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment